Squash Canada Alters Plans for 2021 Canadian Championships

Ottawa, ON (February 3, 2021) – Due to ongoing developments and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic, Squash Canada is announcing changes to its 2021 Canadian Championship squash season.

Squash Canada has postponed the 2021 Canadian Junior Closed Championships that was scheduled for May 21-24, 2021 (the location remains to be determined).  In addition, the 2021 Canadian Squash and U23 Championships, earmarked for The Club at White Oaks in Niagara on the Lake, have also been postponed from their later-than-normal dates of June 15-20, 2021.  The pandemic situation will be monitored over the coming months to determine if it is prudent and practical to re-schedule in the Fall.

In addition, the 2020 Canadian Junior Open that was originally pushed to July 2-6, has been cancelled and the 2021 fixture on the international junior open circuit has been confirmed for its traditional December timeframe and host, December 10-14 at The Club at White Oaks (reservations are now being accepted by calling 1-800-263-5766).

Furthermore, Squash Canada regrettably announces the decision to outright cancel the 2021 Canadian Masters Teams Championships, the 2021 Canadian Men’s and Women’s Teams Championships, and the 2021 Canadian University and College Championships.  Planning is underway to host the next edition of those events in their normal first three months of 2022.

With respect to Canadian Men’s and Women’s Doubles Championships and Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships, no formal decision has been made at this time regarding if and when those events are to be held.

“This continues to be a very tough time for the athletes, coaches, clubs and partners involved in our sport and for the health and wellbeing of our society in general,” stated Dan Wolfenden, Executive Director at Squash Canada. “The safety and welfare of everyone involved continues to be Squash Canada’s top priority.  That includes ample time to be back on court, training, getting fitness and skill levels back up to the point that can safely withstand the rigours of 4 to 7 high intensity national matches in a 3-to-4-day time span.  Postponing major tournaments was not an easy decision to make, but we believe it is the right one given the current situation. We look forward to working with our Provincial/Territorial Associations and all of our valued hosts and partners to stimulate competition and to resume local and provincial tournaments once our health authorities deem it safe to do so as a necessary precursor to national events.”

We will continue to communicate any changes to all stakeholders.